The Nikon D810 is an upgrade to the D800 and the predecessor of the D850. It features a full-frame 36.3-megapixel image sensor and has a native ISO of 64– 12800—expandable to 32–51200. If you need something good for everything from studio photography to shooting out in the wild, this versatile camera has you covered with 51 autofocus points and 15 cross sensors (an upgrade from the 3500- FX AF system you may be familiar with from the D800 and D800E). Use the pop-up flash or control an external flash in-camera, and take advantage of Quiet Continuous Mode, which makes shooting silent and stealthy.
A zoom-in feature on the 3.2-inch 1,229k-dot display lets you magnify your image up to 46 times and gives you the option of split-screen viewing so you can dial in your focus. Shooting speed is 5 fps at full resolution or 5:4 crop mode, 6 fps in 1:2 crop mode, and 7 fps in DX-crop mode (DX mode requires an MB-12 Battery Grip). The camera lacks an optical low-pass filter to enhance the efficacy of the EXPEED 4 image processor, which ensures RAW files achieve maximum sharpness during landscape and detail photography.
If you like to shoot video, you’ll appreciate this camera’s ability to record full HD at 60 fps. Zebra stripes help monitor exposure, and you can capture your perfect, uncompressed scene to an SD with simultaneous recording capabilities via HDMI. Flat Picture Control gives you more options in post-production, and stereo audio is recorded in-camera.
This camera still features the same battery found in the D800 and lasts up to 1200 shots per charge. A CF/SD memory card slot stores your images, while raw images can be saved as 12-bit uncompressed files. Superior weather and dust-sealing combine with a magnesium-alloy body to provide excellent performance in all conditions. And with in-camera editing capabilities, you won’t have to wait until you get back to your computer to make your images pop.
- Camera Type: DSLR
- Sensor: Full-frame 35.9 × 23.9mm CMOS
- Aspect Ratio: 1:1; 3:2; 4:5
- Exposure Modes: Aperture-Priority (A); Manual (M); Programmed auto with flexible program (P); Shutter-Priority (S)
- ISO Range: 64–12800 | Expandable to 32–51200
- Display Size: 3.2 inches (diagonal)
- Image Stabilization: No
- File Format: Stills—JPEG and RAW | Video—MOV
- JPEG: Baseline compliant; select from size priority and optimal quality, or with 1:4, 1:8, or 1:16 compression
- RAW: 12 or 14 bit. Select from lossless compressed, compressed, or uncompressed RAW + JPEG: Each photo is recorded in both RAW and JPEG
- Weight: 1.94 pounds
- Weather Resistant: Weather sealed
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- Battery: EN-EL15 lithium-ion battery
- Connectivity: Eye-fi compatible | HDMI C (Mini) | Micro-USB | Super Speed USB 3.0 | X-Sync Socket | 3.5mm headphone | 3.5mm microphone